Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Drifting on a memory

July 2012
I am eager to embark on a trip I recently booked to Tahiti. It's my birthday gift to me and I feel like I'm going to have a great time. I'm going solo. Yup, to the proclaimed "favored honeymoon destination on the planet", I'm going dolo. I'm not all that concerned because #1, I'm gonna be on a fab cruise ship in an equally fab stateroom.

June 2013
 Ia Ora na! That's "Hello" in Tahitian.  I'm updating this a year later...LOL! I completely forgot that I started this post. The cruise was cool. The various ports were gorgeous and included Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, Tahaa and Raiatea. I was on a smaller ship with 400-500 max capacity though I could have that wrong considering it's been a year. I was the only black person on the ship, so I drew a lot of attention. Women flocked to me like crazy, wanting me to join them and their families for dinner. I hedged at times because, well, I was on a cruise solo for a reason! Plus, one of the women pissed me off by making some remark about how I didn't need a tan. Can white people go five seconds with referencing color??? Nope! And she got ditched as a result. One thing about it, my money was just as green as her husband's, since I know she didnt pay for ish, and I wasnt about to spend more time in the presence of some chick who makes the "You don't need to get any darker" quip...be gone!

Anywho, the ship was beautiful but too intimate... no real onboard nightlife, just real lowkey. Food was decent, several steps above the party cruiseline I've been on. The staterooms, with virtually full on sized bathtubs, were amazing. And the best part of the whole entire cruise((drumroll please))....the L'Occitane toiletries that were replenished twice per day! Im still rolling off those bad boys. Daily, I dumped the unused lotions, shampoos, shower gels and conditioners in my suitcase and my wonderful chamber maid would replace them. That, in and of itself, just about made the beaucoup bucks I paid for the trip worth it.

I booked rental cars on Raiatea and Bora Bora. Totally tranquil way to spend the day...loved it. I rented a beach cruiser bike on Moorea and got caught in a tropical downpour...sooo much fun! The bike chain popped and someone came out of their yard and helped put it back on which was super nice of them. I also booked an Underwater Safari...nice but not something I would do twice. I dont know what got into me but I did an island tour of Bora Bora on a jetski...never again. It's just not for me. That was one of the very few times in my life that I've been afraid, deathly afraid. First, I had never ridden a jetski before. Second, we were in the ocean! Arrggghhh...I tripped doing that.

As with most cruises, the islands start to look alike after a couple of days. It was a long flight there and back which for me means that I probably wouldn't do this again unless Idris insisted(Lol, I kid...sort of). If I think of more, I will edit and add it. But that was vacay 2012 in nutshell! Nana!(that's goodbye tahitian)

1 comment:

  1. This was good!! I'm glad you're back at it. You've inspired me!!!

    ReplyDelete